How do you guys remove adhesive from MacBook Pro glass?

ClarkDV

I use Goo-Gone but it's always a mess and gets where I don't want it to and then takes a long time to clean.

So how do you guys remove the adhesive so you can re-use the glass?

Thanks!

mnaty

Heat + isopropyl in a a syringe to weaken bond. Ive found the i can be very precise with solvents when applied using surgical needle. Helps to prevent over saturation in areas i dont want

D_R

For me 95% D-Limonene works fine. It's the same chemical that is used in the 3M sticker remover pen, but here you pay 15$ for a Liter and not 20$ for 300ml in a can. And if you need more "power" you can combine it with 3-5% hydrogen peroxide. But take care of you hands and wear gloves!

1centchips

What about the residue that the original adhesive leaves behind, making the surface uneven and good place for air pockets. I use Goof off but leaves a oily residue behind ugh, more time spent of rubbing it with alcohol...

ClarkDV

This time I used Goo-Gone via a Q-tip to control the amount. Wait 60 seconds or so, then used a black spudger stick to roll it into a ball, then microcloth to get most of it up. After that rubbing with my finger made the rest ball up so I could lift it off. Then clean with IPA. This time, using the Q-tip to apply the Goo-Gone, was the most successful, least messy time I've ever had with one.

rany

Heat plate or mat (2 small or 1 big) to heat the top case and remove the glass, then keep it heated and scrub with IPA 99%.

G.Beard

I use Goo-Gone but it's always a mess and gets where I don't want it to and then takes a long time to clean.

So how do you guys remove the adhesive so you can re-use the glass?

Thanks!

You can use a very small amount of lighter fluid. The butane softens the glue and makes removal easy, it evaporates quickly and the glue returns to it's original state. I use it with batteries and screens but you do have to take care with batteries.

dukefawks

Administrator
You make sure to not damage the adhesive and reuse it. Use heat to take it off and heat and clamps to put it back on. No just pressing it back on is not enough, use clamps and heat and let it sit an hour or so.