External enclosure or adapter for 2013-2015 Air SSDs?

SMMRepair

I'm looking for an external enclosure or adapter/caddy for a 2013/2014/2015 MacBook Air SSD. It's for data recovery purposes only, and I'm having trouble finding one that's for the 2013/2014 models and not 2012. Does anyone have a suggestion or link to one that will accomplish this? I don't deal much with data recovery, and this is for a friend, not a paid job.

Would prefer one that will connect via USB, but SATA is fine as well, as long as it can be connected to another unit to pull data over.

SMMRepair

Yeah, I figured that's what it would come to. I was going to use that method as a last resort, but my friend lives 3000 miles away (and he doesn't deal in this type of work at all, so no compatible machines on-hand). I'll just have him ship the things to me and I'll do it with another machine. Thanks, Duke.

peterfixit

there is ssd --->pcie adapters, I havent seen any usb ones just the chinese rubbish, Ive bought one to test they are only $5

SMMRepair

Thanks! I saw that one from OWC, but noticed this: "Please Note: The OWC Envoy Pro is not compatible with stock Apple Toshiba drives." Any idea why it won't work with the Toshiba drives? That seems a little strange. So it will only work with the Samsung drives?

iambehr

I can say for sure that OWC one works great. It also gives you access to newer 2013 and later retina macbook SSD's. I tested it with the faster mid 2015 retina ssd and compatibility is there. At the time I bought it I wasn't sure if anything else was compatible with the newer drives, since apple uses custom SSD and firmwares.