Oscilloscope

XooP

I have tossed out my old 1970's Oscilloscope because it took up a lot of space on my desk. I'm now looking for a new one. Any suggestion on what to buy? Don't want to spend more than I need :)

localpcshop

We use a Rigol DS1052E; it was about about £280 when we bought it.

its was only 50Mhz (I say only, i dont think weve ever needed more)

but you can upgrade this model to 100Mhz with a software a update - its sweet because the 100Mhz were much more expensive.

To be frank, its a nice bit of kit, but if im honest i could get away with just using my multi-meter.

There are new Rigol's- They are even better! It depends on your budget really.

ours is the old model --The Rigol 4 channel DS1054z replaces our model and Inc vat its £331.00.

XooP

Thank you, but if you could get away with a multimeter, how do you check for clock signals?

localpcshop

lol, I dont!, hence being on this forum

But i believe my guys use the fluke 87 which has a frequency Counter -If thats what you mean!

Last edited:

XooP

Ok, so my best bet is an Oscilloscope then.

The ones who do use an Oscilloscope, what frequency range should i aim for?

aprendiz

I use a Tektronix TDS3032B and I've never measured more than 25Mhz, so, Rigol 50Mhz + software update will be enough

Wingspinner

I really love the 2000's vintage Fluke Scopemeters, especially the color display models they come in 60MHz, 100MHz, and 200MHz models and color or b/w but it turns out the only difference is the firmware and someone with the right equipment to do the equivalent of a "factory" firmware upgrade can convert a 60 to a 200MHz for around $200 (the firmware upgrade is only $85 but it must be fully recalibrated. I've had ScopeMeter Repairs do a couple for me (no affiliation other than a satisfied customer) . You can get a really nice color 2 channel 200mhz calibrated with all accessories for $1200-$1400 or a b/w one for $700-$800 on ebay. Less with less accessories. If you can get by with one channel, you can find them for a couple of hundred with a bad channel for pretty cheap relative to the new price. They are a bit pricey but excellent, accurate, units. The b/w units are every bit as good as the color units but not as sexy.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
You'll probably never use it for that. Measuring higher frequencies also runs in to many termination/impedance and ground loop issues that make the displayed measurement garbage unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. A 100MHz scope is fine for everything you will do with it.

shanenin

You'll probably never use it for that. Measuring higher frequencies also runs in to many termination/impedance and ground loop issues that make the displayed measurement garbage unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. A 100MHz scope is fine for everything you will do with it.

I see the 100mhz are more expensive than the 50mhz. Would it be worth the extra investment to get the 100mhz?

gadgetfix

Guys i been looking for a scope. Im stuck between rigol DS1102E vs DS1054Z?
the cheaper one (ds1102e is 2 channel + 100mhz) and ds1054z is 4channel but 50mhz?

im not sure which one would be better i need opinions/feedback?
i have noticed even cheaper ones on eBay? are they any good?