thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

Oscilloscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gadgetfix
    replied
    Guys i been looking for a scope. Im stuck between rigol DS1102E vs DS1054Z?
    the cheaper one (ds1102e is 2 channel + 100mhz) and ds1054z is 4channel but 50mhz?

im not sure which one would be better i need opinions/feedback?
    i have noticed even cheaper ones on eBay? are they any good?

Leave a comment:

• shanenin
    replied
    Originally posted by dukefawks View Post
    You'll probably never use it for that. Measuring higher frequencies also runs in to many termination/impedance and ground loop issues that make the displayed measurement garbage unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. A 100MHz scope is fine for everything you will do with it.
    I see the 100mhz are more expensive than the 50mhz. Would it be worth the extra investment to get the 100mhz?

Leave a comment:

• dukefawks
    replied
    You'll probably never use it for that. Measuring higher frequencies also runs in to many termination/impedance and ground loop issues that make the displayed measurement garbage unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. A 100MHz scope is fine for everything you will do with it.

Leave a comment:

• shanenin
    replied
    I realize this is resurrecting an old thread, but what are the higher MHz used for, is 100Mhz often used?

Leave a comment:

• Wingspinner
    replied
    I really love the 2000's vintage Fluke Scopemeters, especially the color display models they come in 60MHz, 100MHz, and 200MHz models and color or b/w but it turns out the only difference is the firmware and someone with the right equipment to do the equivalent of a "factory" firmware upgrade can convert a 60 to a 200MHz for around $200 (the firmware upgrade is only $85 but it must be fully recalibrated. I've had ScopeMeter Repairs do a couple for me (no affiliation other than a satisfied customer) . You can get a really nice color 2 channel 200mhz calibrated with all accessories for $1200-$1400 or a b/w one for $700-$800 on ebay. Less with less accessories. If you can get by with one channel, you can find them for a couple of hundred with a bad channel for pretty cheap relative to the new price. They are a bit pricey but excellent, accurate, units. The b/w units are every bit as good as the color units but not as sexy.
    Last edited by Wingspinner; 07-02-2016, 12:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Can I check clock (crystal) using only Ohm instead oscilloscope?

Leave a comment:

• XooP
    replied
    All right, I guess I'll be buying the Rigol then

Leave a comment:

• aprendiz
    replied
    I use a Tektronix TDS3032B and I've never measured more than 25Mhz, so, Rigol 50Mhz + software update will be enough

Leave a comment:

• XooP
    replied
    Ok, so my best bet is an Oscilloscope then.

The ones who do use an Oscilloscope, what frequency range should i aim for?

Leave a comment:

• localpcshop
    replied
    lol, I dont!, hence being on this forum

But i believe my guys use the fluke 87 which has a frequency Counter -If thats what you mean!
    Last edited by localpcshop; 04-26-2016, 02:07 PM. Reason: but dont quote me

Leave a comment:

• XooP
    replied
    Thank you, but if you could get away with a multimeter, how do you check for clock signals?

Leave a comment:

• localpcshop
    replied
    We use a Rigol DS1052E; it was about about £280 when we bought it.

its was only 50Mhz (I say only, i dont think weve ever needed more)

but you can upgrade this model to 100Mhz with a software a update - its sweet because the 100Mhz were much more expensive.

To be frank, its a nice bit of kit, but if im honest i could get away with just using my multi-meter.

There are new Rigol's- They are even better! It depends on your budget really.

ours is the old model --The Rigol 4 channel DS1054z replaces our model and Inc vat its £331.00.

Leave a comment:

• XooP
    started a topic Oscilloscope

Oscilloscope

I have tossed out my old 1970's Oscilloscope because it took up a lot of space on my desk. I'm now looking for a new one. Any suggestion on what to buy? Don't want to spend more than I need

thread bottom ad

Collapse
Working...
X