SEE VRAM ... Any experience?

G.Beard

Just bought some VRAM from SEE.
SEE say's it's new and obviously I'll find out but I wonder if anyone has bought VRAM from them and if it's normally ACTUALLY new?

dukefawks

Administrator
Most VRAM is fine, even reballed ones are usually ok if it is not Samsung from 2006-2008. SEE is usually ok with their chips.

G.Beard

Most VRAM is fine, even reballed ones are usually ok if it is not Samsung from 2006-2008. SEE is usually ok with their chips.

I have a 0084 board hear, put a 0005 (1125 chips) on it and it's now giving me jip. I've done two chips on this board now, balls look great, nothing knocked off the board so I'll try new VRAM see if I fucked it up.
Is there any reason for HYNIX H5GQ2H24MFR not to work with this? .... It's what was on there already.

dukefawks

Administrator
Stop messing around with not native chips. I bet if you reball the old GPU it will work just fine. Compare strapping resistors like R8611/12/13 between 0084 and 0005 boards. You cannot just slap different chips on there and expect it to always work. It should however at least produce some sort of image......

G.Beard

Stop messing around with not native chips. I bet if you reball the old GPU it will work just fine. Compare strapping resistors like R8611/12/13 between 0084 and 0005 boards. You cannot just slap different chips on there and expect it to always work. It should however at least produce some sort of image......

Alright, so please don't feel the need to facepalm or bang your head off the table here.... I'm interested in WHY the 6750M sub for 6770M only works SOMETIMES.
I've looked at the schematics and I see no reference to difference between strapping resistor values for a given VRAM on either the 0005 or 0084.
Is there some EFI firware difference that affects the outcome of a swap from 6770M to 6750M?

What's the deal here?
Note, I wil be checking the actual values on the board but still wanted to ask.

dukefawks

Administrator
I honestly don't exactly know. I never took the time to figure it out nor will I ever. I suspect a BIOS issue. 6770 was only used on late 2011 models so it will probably never work on early 2011.

G.Beard

I honestly don't exactly know. I never took the time to figure it out nor will I ever. I suspect a BIOS issue. 6770 was only used on late 2011 models so it will probably never work on early 2011.

Well that's something I did't (but should have) know(n) before.
I'm only 0005-ing these boards because that's what I have. As it is, I'm going to stop doing that I think.

I have one more question for you please.... Are you still finding 0084 chips out there somewhere at the bottom of this AMD GPU barrel?