DC Jack to Magsafe - Is this /any/ good?

smiba

Hey everyone,

I currently don't have any chargers I can cut the cord from to use on my bench power supply and cutting it off a fully working original would break my heart (and wallet).

Would this be an 'acceptable' replacement: https://blog.adafruit.com/2017/08/03...nd-generation/

Just wondering what your opinions about this product are?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Atomrepair

Probably no better than a knockoff. I'm looking for some original ones as well to hook up to my supply. WTB broken adapters, heh.

dukefawks

Administrator
They don't even mention the wattage of the tip, so I doubt they really know what the fuck they are doing. You can just hack up a chinese charger, the shit bit is the brick. The tip is where the "ID" chip is inside.

cwalex

No worries :) I have a couple of them that I use with my bench supply. The macbook reports it as an 85W charger. I have only been using them for about a month though so I will see how long they last.

G.Beard

No Title

This was my solution. As duke said, I pulled them off shit fake ones that customers sent in... no dear customer you can not power my repair with this pile of shit and still have warranty!

Attachments

• photo1565.jpg
    photo1565.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1

G.Beard

No Title

To add a little detail I bought a SumVision 120W multi charger (because they are actually quite good) and dremeled the ends off some jacks, soldered the wires to the exposed tabs and then covered the ends in hot glue and sausaged it around the tabs for insulation. Used some heat shrink and then covered with insulation tape.

Attachments

• photo1566.jpg
    photo1566.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0