Do Ultasonic cleaners really fix anything?

shanenin

I can see the value in using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean boards, but how do they work to fix issues? If the cleaner is just removing stuff, which would probably even include a small amount of conductive metal, how does that repair anything? I have never heard Rossman say in a video that he uses them for anything other than cleaning(I have only watched a fraction of them). With all that said, based on what people say, they seem to fix things somehow.

How do you guys use them in your procedure of fixing boards?
What about the issue of cleaning all of the hints away?

Any help in understanding this process would be greatly appreciated

shanenin

Watched a few more videos and Rossman does talk about how well they work. I still wish I understood why. You would think cleaning and removing bits of metal would only make connections worse. Unless the corrosion is causing shorts and removing them is what fixes stuff. That seems more likely

Watched a few more videos and Rossman does talk about how well they work. I still wish I understood why. You would think cleaning and removing bits of metal would only make connections worse. Unless the corrosion is causing shorts and removing them is what fixes stuff. That seems more likely

Corrosion can cause shorts, and corrosion can happen UNDER chips where your toothbrush scrubbing isn't going to do anything. An ultrasonic that is nice and hot and filled correctly with the cleaning solution will clean corrosion better than you can by hand and most importantly under the chips.

As far as "erasing the hints" it is a good idea to look at the board before you clean it and either take pictures or make a mental note of where the damage is.

RESQ-MYTECH

From a complete newbie to electronics even thought I have been in the industry for 22 years doing PC support, ultrasonic does not repair blown components etc. As described by my esteamed forum user chicocomputerclinic ( hey get me with fancy words), the ultrasonic will clean below the components where using a toothbrush or similar cant get. They way it does this is the ultrasonic waves with cause the water to "vibrate" thus acting as ( essentualy) a liquid brush. Coupled with a high quality cleaning solution you may even find that it does a better job than alcamahol and a brush on easier to access sections of the board.

Also, ultrasonic baths aare great for cleaning jewellery :)

shanenin

As said above, the way they must fix things would be by removing shorts that the corrosion may have caused.

JohnB8812

Not so much shorts as much as corrosion that causes signals to get pulled down or connections that are being eaten away at. Always good to flux and heat corrosion before ultrasonicing, but sometimes you can?t see corrosion so the UC helps a lot. I personally use it on 99% of my liquid damage repairs