I purchased the data backup tool for when the board is not repairable I need help!

Apple Fanboy

Hello I am new here but have been doing board repairs for 7 years. Anyhow I purchased one of those tools that can backup the data on the board even if the board is not repairable for the boards that have the soldered on storage. However I havn't had the chance to use it and have a customers device that I think a) is compatable and b) the board is not repairable well at least I don't do any cpu repairs.... So does anyone know how to use it? What is the name of the port and the protocol apple named it? Also do I need a mac to operate this or can I use any device with a usb port?

Thanks for any help!

You refer to the Apple 620-00658 Data Transfer Device. The port on the board is called the lifeboat adapter. It came with a purdy little USB-C type cable and a purdy power supply. Don't lose them. Remember to hook everything up correctly. ALL this kit is: is a memory controller like you find on a hard drive / flash drive. It is almost an entire macbook air inside the box for this purpose! You can hook this tool up to any computer. Data appears. Hopefully. I used it once. It worked. Paid for itself right there.