thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

General question about reflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question about reflow

I have been practicing for a few hours every day on dead boards, removing and replacing QFNs

I had settled on a general procedure and I was looking for guidance

I am using a QUICK hot air station

1)I start at a high temp 600-615C at 3-4 inches from the board at high flow rate (100 on the quick)
    do this for 1-2 minutes with flux applied
    2) move in to 2 inches,temp cut to 550, cut air flow to 50.any higher and risk for blowing other components away. I try to be at 90 degrees to the chip to
    with gentle swirling motion of the air
    3) tap with tweezers to check movement, at this point there is a narrow band of flux at the edges of the chip near the attachments

4) move in very tight 1/2 inch for brief period on all sides of the chip
    - here I have run into trouble..I learned ..NEVER pull on the chip, if you do... its not ready to come off ( i ripped a pad clean off doing this)

5) move off and away to 2 inches, then back down to 1/2 to 1/4 inch..in bursts of 5 seconds or so...
    6) gradually let the chip tell you when it it ready to come off

If my technique is wrong, please tell me

Like I said, practice is the only teacher I have right now.

Its been frustrating.

600-615C is too hot!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use 430C at 120C. 1-2 min is too long, you should have most everything pulled within 30 seconds.

See this video. This is a extreme case. These chips are likely the hardest to remove on the board due to the heatsink. https://youtu.be/_QC_KcnPQmE?t=274

Also quick doesn't go to 600C. You have a fake, which is probably why it takes 2 min to do this. Use 1 temp and 1 airflow. 430C and 120 lpm works great.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X