Best place to buy lab grade IPA and distilled water?

spakhnyuk

I buy IPA and distilled water at drug/grocery stores as well, I guess what I'm asking is there a better place to buy the lab grade stuff? Possibly in bulk?

mnaty

I posted a link to an article that had a link for a reputable company. Id have to reference that to check as their prices were pretty good;if you buy five gallons. Its slightly better pricing on same stuff i buy now.

Currently using techspray from all-spec.com. Ebay often resulted in lower quality than advertised

D_R

why do you want to buy distilled water? I think, it's quite expensive. In my lab I use a multiple stage reverse osmosis filter. It generates Lab-Grade distilled water and was about 70$. There are multiple filters but the result is quite the same: distilled water. So I bought my from the hardware store in the aquarium section.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
distilled water at commodities market while I am buying my breakfast vegetables, alcohol on ebay in 4 gallon increments

mnaty

why do you want to buy distilled water? I think, it's quite expensive. In my lab I use a multiple stage reverse osmosis filter. It generates Lab-Grade distilled water and was about 70$. There are multiple filters but the result is quite the same: distilled water. So I bought my from the hardware store in the aquarium section.

Actually reverse osmosis is not the same as distilled water. You can achieve the same quality water though by a deionization stage to your reverse osmosis. Distilled water is free of all salt ion and other positive metalic ions. Reverse osmosis water from tap is not. If you are using filtered line water in shop i highly recommend u upgrade to include deionizing filter.

mnaty

Ive asked before, but ill ask again... Have u not had any bad luck buying IPA on ebay. For me, it was like buying snake oil, elixers and tonics... Never as advertised.

Also, after the last article i read im starting to rethink my position on IPA at least in tech grade form. Article spoke of the unrealistic use of ipa in pure form due to its hygroscopic nature (basically it sucks moisture out of the air after opening). IPA will rapidly collect moistire from air until it reaches an equilibrium at appox 60-70% purity.

So pretty much our pure ipa is fucked after opening. How long exactly, im not smart enough to answer that one. ?

D_R

In my reverse osmosis System I have 3 Filters in line. I can't say what kind of filter they are, but the water I get from the filter has a resistance of 2,5MOhm (tested at 500V holding the leads close to each other).

Btw. why do you think, that deinonized water is important? When I clean the first board in the ultrasonic cleaner, I have more conductive particles in the water then directly out of the reverse osmosis stage of the filter.

Last edited:

mnaty

Truely pure water is actually not very conductive. By removing more particles and contaminents you will lower the conductivity of your water supply. Deionization adds that extra little push to remove salts and trace metals that your reverse osmosis misses. Heres a good scientific answer...

"Electrical Conductivity is the ability of a solution to transfer (conduct) electric current. It is the reciprocal of electrical resistivity (ohms). Therefore conductivity is used to measure the concentration of dissolved solids which have been ionized in a polar solution such as water." quoted from: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...OCAY1Xq92u2UjkN5A&sig2=c9-Psh4SoRMbH0F8ccai0g

Another good test may be the zero water filter. Never thought of trying that, but they have some impressive filtration condensed into a pitcher. They claim a zero turbidity and fitration so tight it can separate dyes from liquid. It would be interest to know the conductivity of water after filtration through this gravity feed filter.