820-3332 Kernel Panic on Catalina after Hardware dGPU bypass

yourmacrepair

Hi Fam, good morning.

I have an 820-3332 which, after U8900 resolder, replacement, and all sorts of possibilities, was not completing the boot on any system, neither from internal or external drives.

So, I run the jumpers to bypass the dGPU and it looked perfect until I tried to run the Catalina install and it simply didn't finish, giving a Kernel Panic a little before the installation end.

I tried to install Mojave, and all was perfect including the system security updates.

Any ideas?

BTW, I didn't remove the 2 inductors the bypass step3) ...

piernov

Staff member
You should disable power going to the GPU one way or another so that it doesn't try to initialize.
A random kernel panic can happen so maybe it was just bad luck. If it does it everytime you should run Memtest and try on another storage device. Also if you are installing from USB drive, try a different one.

yourmacrepair

You should disable power going to the GPU one way or another so that it doesn't try to initialize.
A random kernel panic can happen so maybe it was just bad luck. If it does it everytime you should run Memtest and try on another storage device. Also if you are installing from USB drive, try a different one.

Thanks, fam... after cut dGPU power all went well...

Issue solved, happy customer :)