00239 missing LDO 1v1 on one side

grmacs

Have a 00239 a1706 board that has been a royal PITA. Ldo 3v3 was shorted on 3! (assuming customer had junk charger or dongle) of the cd3215’s (assuming customer had junk charger or dongle) and ultimately the last cd3215 wasn’t shorted but was not showing any voltage so had to replace it anyway. Lost some pads on the UB300/400 side so took forever but that side now is showing 5V and all LDOs and both ports turn off momentarily and turn back on so that side seems all good and that was one I was worried about due to repairing pads,etc.

The 3100/3200 side is now both showing 5V but not LDO 1V1 on either port with charger connected to its usB-c. Tried swapping Rom as it had shifted a little at some point during rework. Checked all diode readings around both cd3215. Not seeing anything. I’m thinking it’s got to be something related to the rom being both ports not producing LDO 1V1?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Did you compare diode mode to ground on 1V1 LDO between all ports?
Remove the USB-C port from chassis and inspect its terminals.
Also compare diode mode readings between J3300 and JB500.
S-UEM2 tool can help you.

grmacs

I may look into getting the tool I checked everyone of the pads for 3100 figuring if I can get 1v1 there it will likely solve U3200. All pads and traces are checking out. replaced the CD3215 just in case and tried another rom and still nothing. I noticed some coms tie to the SMC. Any possiblity that could prevent the 1v1 or do you know if that is negotiated locally between the master, slave and rom?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
1V1 LDO is required for communication between CD3215 chips and charger.
And each CD3215 must generate it when the power is applied on its corresponding port.
One chip boots from TBT ROM; the other (in same pair) will boot from first one, through UART lines.
On the connectors are many protection diode connected, also filter caps.
Some of them can block the correct boot sequence, if corroded.

grmacs

After double checking J3300 and Rom diode measurements I figured I'd try U3200 again and that was where issue was. Although schematics refer to it as secondary it appears it is the connection to ROM. On my board, I had previously repaired pad UPC_XB_SPI_MOSI of U3200 and while I thought that repair went well, the pad was gone when I pulled the CD3215. I repaired the pad again and reballed a different CD3215 just in case and it now boots. :) Thanks for your help!

Last edited: