820-00165 no camera detected

Chuck60

Hi I know I posted this earlier last month but now I have two with the same issue :/
Camera not recognized. I just finished testing 2 -820-3437 and the FaceTime works fine :/ I tried PRAM and installed a new OS X on my test drive
Both 820-00165 where water damaged but no where near Anything todo with camera
one was near smc the other had near PP3v3_SUS I’m not sure what’s the issue also the test chassis is a 2013 air shell if they helps

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes BIOS corruption is possible on water damaged boards.
You should try known good BIOS, clean ME to discard this.
Corrupted ME region is known to cause this symptom.

Also read Piernov post at the end of this thread.

Chuck60

ok I will :) thanks

after reading post he mentioned that replacing R2042 Repaired the camera. I will check R2042 or equivalent on 820-00165

Last edited:

Chuck60

Ok I tried replacing the above component it was in fact reading the same 8ohms I replaced it with a 0ohm 201 resistor and it’s the same issue no camera detected. I will order a new bios chip and switch out the old one with new. I still have to try smc reset but I’m my short experience never does anything. I’m currently check the voltages and CAM_SENSOR_WAKE_L_CONN R4031, R4030 and L4009, L4007 to see if there’s any physical damage or liquid. I’m assuming the camera must be connected for these lines to be active I’ve also ordered a camera cable just for ease of use

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Be aware of new BIOS chip.
Very likely they just write dump read form other board.
No clean ME region in such case; and will not serve you!!!

Once battery is removed (also charger), SMC reset is automatically done when power is applied again.
No need to bother with that...

Chuck60

Yes I plan to do a clean Me on the new chip I just wanted to have the old Chip in case I had a issue to swap back :) thank you for your help

SMMRepair

This issue is almost ALWAYS U3900, if no damage to board (and no tampering with BIOS). We repair at least one of these per week, and replacing U3900 resolves issue about 90% of the time. Another thing you really need to check on these is the pins on iSight connector itself--both inside connector and external. I've had a dozen or so of these 00165 boards that actually had loose pins at the board; they just didn't have enough solder and broke free at some point. Lastly, I've seen several that had a pin very slightly lodged/stuck inside connector so it wasn't making good contact. If BIOS has been fucked with, then disregard all of this and start there!

Chuck60

Ok I just received the replacement u3900 and u1900 May I ask do I need to have the camera plug for these voltages to be present ?
I want to go over The power supplies and enables startBig at pin 6 of u1900 and run through all of them before I replace either chip on these boards

Chuck60

I’ve come back to this board once again I replaced BCM U3900 chip cleaned me region and nothing :( I resoldered the camera connector. Is it possible that I can send the file for bios and maybe you can clean the me :/ I’ve tried but maybe I’m not doing it right. I’ll go over the pier rails again. It’s hard to diagnose:( I’ve tried many ways lastly I’m gonna try to use a external keyboard and mouse with DisplayPort out and a camera connected open the app and see if I’m getting all my signals. Last I checked all inputs where there. So I don’t know what’s going on here. It initially had some water damage on c4030,c4031 replaced both caps with new and U2030 is no stuff

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
That chip is easy te destroy if overheat its Si die.
If camera connector is properly soldered, check if ALS sensor works at least.
If not, be sure 5V voltage arrives to connector.

Chuck60

Ok I’ll check it. I used around 380 to solder it and it’s the same symptoms as before :/ all inputs and no change on output

Chuck60

Ok yes als works I cover camera and key board lights intensify. I tried also re installing OS X and even erase ssd several time. Just in case it was a software issue :( I’m basically stuck.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
We should have several BIOS files with clean ME posted on the forum.
Be sure to have good connections for camera lines and try another camera too.

Chuck60

Thank you very much I have two different cameras and both don’t work. I’ll search for it :) wish me luck cause I need it

piernov

Staff member
Linux camera driver is more verbose than macOS and shows you some initialization steps in the kernel log. It may or may not help narrowing down the problem.

Attachments

• 20200823_021149_r.jpg
    20200823_021149_r.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 4

SMMRepair

Check inside the camera connector to make sure no pins are pushed "up" and not making proper contact with the cable; have had a few instances of this. Also, did you buy U3900 reballed, or did you reball it? Where did you buy it? What diode readings do you get at the big coils near the chip?