820-00165 Strange Issue, help!

820-00165

The Logic Board does not turn on, when attached to my power supply it will take 30Mah, then quickly 19Mah, then to about 160 for a split second, then back to 30. I have narrowed down the problem to U8080, and the PP5V_S4R3 rail. It seems like there is a short to ground, however I have checked every connection to this and there is no short. PP5V_S4R3 will go to 0V, then to about 2V for a split second (when it goes it 160 mAH). When I remove U8080, this goes away, and the board stays at 160mah, when removed I checked every connection and no short.

PM_SLP_S4_L will sometimes be there, it has occurred twice now where when I measure R8116, and others around it, the board will be OK, and even when U8080 is there the logic board goes to 160mAH.

I can compare the symptoms to Louis Rossmanns PM_SLP_S4_L video, where the S4 and S3 rails are affected by this.

I have replaced U8080 twice, and have replaced U1950 too.

EDIT: When removing U8080, PM_SLP_S4 is present and working. As well as PP5V_S4R3, and P5VS0_EN (However it is at 3V, is this normal?)

EDIT: Got it working, however not fully, PP5V_S4R3 is good, however U7820 is not outputting P1V8S3_PGOOD. All voltages are present too, PP3V3_S5 (3.3V), PP1V8_S3 (3V), P1V8S3_FB (0.8V) , P1V8S3_SW, (1.8V)

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Got it working, however not fully"
Do you mean the board stays on, but no activity?

"U7820 is not outputting P1V8S3_PGOOD"
Then you miss ALL_SYS_PWRGD, as VCORE too.
Remove R8166 and test again.

Yep, sorry, Incorrect working. The board now pulls 150Mah, the new problem is U7820 is not outputting the PGOOD signal. Yes that means no ALL_SYS_PWRGD.

This board does not boot or power on, before the 5V rail was down, no fan spin, now that it is fixed we do get a fan spin.

WIll remove resistor then report back.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If board stays on and ALL_SYS_PWRGD is 0V, then another power good signal pulls it down.

Check all signals involved in ALL_SYS_PWRGD generation.
Start removing Q8150; is a redundant protection...

Sorry for this really late reply, I have solved the problem.

For future reference or for anyone who has this problem, it was R6130, it was measuring incorrectly in resistance.

I replaced it and board fully powers on now.