820-00244 one more serial problem?

Inwerp

i have 2 devices with the same problem. had one last month, customer needed to backup his data - so he took the device as soon as he saw apple logo (in urgent cases i allow customer to see the process)
power button does not work, kind of shorted but not. call me dumb, i do not get it.
SMC_ONOFF high on board with trackpad+keyboard attached, no reaction on the power button, ALT+CTRL+SHIFT resets SMC as if the power button was pressed.
ejected power button, 0.3v on pads, resistance 500kohm connected/unconnected.
traced smc_onoff to the trackpad has no direct trace to a keyboard button.
works perfectly fine with SMC_ONOFF pads - turns screen on and off, shuts down the device after 8 seconds, works fine with and without keyboard attached.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean it always works using R5225/56 pads, but never responds to power button?

"ejected power button, 0.3v on pads"
One pad should beep with ground.
Maybe trace for other pad is broken, or bad connection to MLB.
Start checking J4801.

Inwerp

yup, i mean R5226. Trace is perfectly fine as well as cable/jack. I guess i need to order the whole topcase to localize this issue.

Inwerp

OK, solved. that was a keyboard damage and since i happend with two devices i decided to repair it instead of replacing the keyboard.
on keyborard jack , pin 8 from left, jumper to the testpad 2cm higher(just near the partnummer stuff), first row 3 from right is a SMC OnOff.
quick diagnose - carefully remove Power button and check if 3.3 v is present or shorted to ground. in my case one had a short to ground, second was broken.