820-00281 not running off battery or charging

ytesfay80

This 15" A1707 board had the battery connector ripped off the board and the pads were all gone with it. I put another J6950 on the board and I had to run a wire from each pin to a nearby probe point.

I did that and after plugging in the battery cable the battery said replace now and it wasn't charging. I went and ordered another battery from online and this one also doesn't charge the battery. Even though is says "Battery is Fully Charged" as soon as I remove the charger it shuts off.
I have to wiggle the battery cable into the socket a little bit so it can recognize the battery because sometimes it doesn't. I took measurements of J6950 with the cable plugged in on the new battery.
Pin 1 - 0.24v (SYS_DETECT_L)
Pin 2 - 3.4v
Pin 3 - 3.4v
Pin 4 - 0.04v

I initially ran a wire from Pin 1 of J6950 to Pin 2 of R6950 until I realized that was sending it to the GND side so I switched it but this issue still remained. I'm not sure if that could have damaged this new battery as well but R6950 measures the correct resistance.

I attached images of the system information page. The first picture is the system info page with the original battery plugged in and the second picture is with the new battery plugged in.

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_133444.jpg
    IMG_20190131_133444.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190203_114233.jpg
    IMG_20190203_114233.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If OSX post battery info, means SMC communicates correctly with the battery.
You should try first known good battery, even old.
New chinese battery is not the best way for test.

Be sure you rebuilt correctly all the traces for J6951.

ytesfay80

I have tried with 2 batteries. The new battery I got from ebay is an OEM battery that had 27 cycles on it.

Are the two images I attached in the original post not the correct battery info page?

Also, the measurements I gave above are for J6951 not J6950.

ytesfay80

Update: I have another machine of the same model that I just finished working on and it had a known working battery so I plugged this board into it and it is working properly so the battery was in fact the issue.

Thanks for your time!

Also, if you are in the US do you have a preferred seller that I can get these A1820 batteries from?

Last edited: