820-00840 board with nonfunctional camera

sekidata

This A1708 arrived dead with liquid damage. I diagnosed a bad CD3215, which I replaced. Everything is now functional except the webcam.

I tried 3 different display assemblies and display cables... no camera. Interestingly, Apple Diagnostics does NOT report any issues with the camera, but System Report says "No video capture devices".

Ambient Light Sensor is fully functional. No green camera LED. I checked all 8 inductors on the MIPI_CLK and MIPI_DATA lines, they are all good.

During the board's power-up sequence I get all camera power rails (CAMERA_PWR_EN, PP1V2_CAM,PP1V35_CAM,PP1V8_CAM). When I try to access the camera (Photo Booth app), CAMERA_PWR_EN goes high for half a second, then back to zero and the app reports "There is no connected camera".

Anything else I could try before assuming that the camera chip U3900 or the SMC is damaged?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check for corroded components around U3900 & U4000.
Possibly broken traces; check continuity for corresponding J8500 lines.

sekidata

Nothing I could find. I confirmed 5V_CAM on the TCON board. Could be a broken trace deep inside the board, but I can't check for continuity due to the underfill on U3900 and U4000.