820-00850 A1989 MacBook Pro with kernel panic

sekidata

This 820-00850 board kernel panics intermittently, especially when the CPU is stressed.

I came to me with an LCD backlight and a fan-related issue, both were fixed. Now, when I run CPU-testing apps like Novabench or TechTool Pro, the machine panics and restarts. I’ve tried SMC and VRAM reset, as well as DFU Revive.
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 1.41.46 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-12 at 1.46.43 PM.png
Is there any chance this is not a failing CPU and instead something else on the logic board?

sekidata

The DFU Restore proceeded fine, but now I can't install an OS because the machine kernel panics at some time during the installation, every time I try.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
What was the problem causing backlight and fan issue?
Try the installation using external monitor; disconnect internal LCD.

sekidata

On external display, I managed to install the OS but kernel panics resumed right afterwards with the same CPU:UNKNOWN error.

The machine originally came with no LCD backlight and the right fan blowing continuously. I found LCDBKLT_EN_L was always 12V instead of 8V, which I fixed by replacing the backlight components R8400 and U8400. The fan circuitry had a missing PMW resistor R6052 (knocked off), which I replaced.

sekidata

No such luck. But I noticed that if I unplug the battery, the machine does not kernel panic. Is that because the CPU gets throttled and the faulty core is less likely to be in use?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Working without battery, or only battery (no charger), CPU will not work to full specs.
Just in case, test with another battery.