820-00923 USB meter cycles every 4 seconds on all ports

No-Clean

Clean board, I have already checked all rails on page 120 and 121 for shorts and all rails are fine, I have also measured in diode mode all LDO lines on all 4 CD3215s and they are all fine too.

When inspecting with thermal camera U7800 flashes a little hot when voltage comes in, but no shorts are detected around it or anywhere else on this board.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like board try to start and goes off because some protection is triggered.
Did you try SMC bypass?

PPBUS_G3H pulses at least?

No-Clean

PPBUS_G3H starts at ~5V for about 2-3 seconds then goes up to ~18V for about 1 second then it restarts and repeats.

SMC byspass makes no difference.

No-Clean

Ok just measured again and multimeter for the first 2-3 seconds is always around 4.5-5V then shows OL for about 1/2 second then shows anywhere from 4V all the way up to 18V for about 1/2 second and repeats.

And yes that would be PPBUS_G3H measured at C6483

USB meter never shows any numbers, just blank screen.

No-Clean

I just realized my USB meter is dead, but with new meter is the same thing, but now I can see that when voltage tries to go from 5V to higher that is when it restarts.

No-Clean

You are a mastermind!

I replaced both and that was it, however no short was found, I replaced them because upon inspection with thermal camera those 2 IC chips were flashing hot briefly.