820-00928 CPU Shorted?

Thomas

I'm working on a 2017 820-00928 Logic Board. It was only liquid damaged on U7410.

PPBUS_HS_CPU is apparently shorted. I compared it to a known good Logic Board. I attempted injecting 8v on that rail and the CPU gets warm. I suspect BAD CPU or am I overlooking?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
It is trash now.
You've just injected 8V into CPU.
So many times explained on the forum how NOT to inject voltage :(...

Thomas

Got it.

Is this Board trash now 100%? Is just the CPU affected or PCB too?

If I didn't inject 8v then what would be the next step?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
The CPU was PROBABLY dead, once U7410 caused voltage spike on it.
Now is dead for SURE, as you injected 8V directly, not just a very short time overvoltage.

Thomas

Thanks. I suspected the CPU to be DEAD since U7410 is shorted.

If I have the skill to remove the CPU and replace it with a known good one just for learning do you think it has a chance?

Thomas

I need to clarify about this repair, when I first started working on it the first thing I did was rule out everything on PPBUS_HS_CPU that could be causing the short besides removing the CPU. Then I injected 8V. I figured that rail was supposed to be around 12V so I started low. That's when the CPU started getting warm.

Anyway actually I got back around to this today, I removed the CPU & what do you know, the short is gone. Now this project will sit until I can find a CPU that I know works. Or unless anyone knows where to get a BRAND NEW CPU, not a pull & reball.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So you had short on PPBUS_HS_CPU and inject 8V there.
The short was caused because of bad power chip from one of CPU power supplies.
CPU got shorted injecting 8V for sure (maybe already damaged before).
Removing CPU, short disappeared of course.
But you MUST find the bad power chip, or will fry again another CPU.

Thomas

I'm pretty sure the CPU was already damaged before, which is why I injected 8V. It was the last resort besides replacing the CPU. Now the CPU is removed. SO what your saying is even though the short is gone right now, when I solder on a known GOOD CPU, PPBUS_HS_CPU will have a short there again?

IF SO, then I will not even attempt to power the Board on at all/inject any kind of voltage after soldering on a known GOOD CPU. Before any power is applied I will confirm if the short is present or not. That way IF the short is back the GOOD CPU should not get damaged AT ALL since no power was applied assuming the soldering is perfect. If it's gone I will attempt to power the Board normally. I have already replaced a few of these touch bar processors with success so I have the soldering method perfected.

I have a great feeling that when I solder a known GOOD CPU back on the short will be back.

2informaticos, Could you please take the time and tell me how I would trace down the BAD power supply chip with the CPU off and the short appearing gone?
Or if I need to solder on a known GOOD CPU first to trace down the original issue, if that is the case, how would I approach this knowing a GOOD CPU is soldered on? Would you blame a PCB issue at that point and force me to give up?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Just check ohm resistance between I/O pins of CPU power supplies chips; like 8/16 for U7210.
Be aware, there are 6 chips to test.
Where are 2-3 chips with output tied together, lift one pin of the coil.