820-01041-07 5v on charger

hambook

I've got an 820-01041-07 on the bench that pulls 4.89v 35mA. Board is immaculate, no liquid anywhere and all indicators are still white. PPBUS is 3.74v, checked for CHGR_EN_MVR and it is missing. Is there anything else to check before suspecting the ISL9240?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
U7000 is the first suspect.
But should take some diode mode readings and voltages around it.
Check its basic voltages; P_IN, AUX_DET, VDDA/P.

hambook

Checked those voltages, I get 3.78v on VDDA, 4.68v on VDDP, 4.8v on P_IN, and 1.21v on AUX_DET. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've never troubleshooted around this area of the board before, what lines should I check with diode mode and what sort of values am I looking for? I wish I had another working model of this board to compare to.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"I get 3.78v on VDDA, 4.68v on VDDP"
There is a big difference, change U7000.

Diode mode on PPBUS_G3H and 3V3_G3H are dirst to check, if missing these voltages.

hambook

Will change U7000. Is it safe to assume that most everything on Aliexpress doesn't have firmware and won't work? Otherwise I'll have to pick up a battery case as a donor.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Real new ISL9240 is not available; do not trust chinese sellers.
It is Apple proprietary chip, Intersil cannot sale it to anyone else.

Buying removed chips can't assure the quality.
You can try getting 5-10 in the same order; maybe half of them are good.

hambook

Forgot I had a recycled board with an ISL9240, used that for the swap and I now get 4.95v 0.01a. VDDA and VDDP of the new U7000 are 4.95v, P_IN and AUX_DET are the same.

hambook

I just measured again and double checked that I am in diode mode. I'm now getting 0.770 with the red probe as ground, and 0.910 with the black probve as ground.