820-02020 M1 A2338 Power cycling

Kgrou

Hello,

I received a board from a new m1 mbp that had some liquid spill on it, pp3V3_S2 was shorted because of UL000 that was dead, after removing it the board do the chime, but has no display or caps lock, but trackpads clics, I cannot find another UL000 (wifi/bt module) because I cannot find any donor board or chip, but I don't think that the board need that chip to boot.
When plugged to an external display, we can actually see the apple logo, the machine will go to 10% of the progress bar and then shut down.
SENSOR_PWR_EN is power cycling every 10-20s, and that is making all the current sense cycling too... I'm suspicious about u8100 being bad but that would be data gone, can something make u8100 cycle ?
CPU/GPU are getting hot and cold (cycle).
DFU mode is impossible because the board is cycling.
Where should I start from there ?

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"DFU mode is impossible because the board is cycling."
Did you try it, or just supposed that?

Can you access boot menu, or Internet Recovery?

Kgrou

I tried with the force dfu button, i can see the mbp in apple configurator 2 for 2s and then it reboots.
No acces to any boot menu because it reboot before, but the machine can start the process to the recovery boot, but will shut down after few seconds.

Last edited:

Kgrou

i tried both : to maintain and without maintaining as explained in logi wiki
Both will show the machine in ac2 only for 2s

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
PPBUS_AON steady voltage?
Board boots, but missing UL000 can cause the restart.

This board is probably waste of time...

Last edited:

Kgrou

Yes PPBUS_AON is stable.
Board is taking 20V and around 0.45 amps then drops to 0.12 amps.
I noticed smth strange, sometimes the board will stay at 5V, unplugging and plugging back will make it go to 20V.

It may be UL000, if no one is having a solution i’m just going to wait until a donor board is available (hoping that UL000 isnt linked with U8100…).

Mortentoft

Hi’ i’ve had a similar issue with cycling amperage. I have found it only by thermalcam. There was no signs at all and because of that my thermalcamera helped me a lot:). My PP3v3_S2-WLBT_ISNS was short on CL053 (underfilled area). ISO did not do it because the temp on damage was low (cycling). Do you have possibilities to use a Thermal camera?

Attachments

• 113EFB2E-9A3C-4DE9-B3FD-23F14043010F.jpeg
    113EFB2E-9A3C-4DE9-B3FD-23F14043010F.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3