820-2879-B

Anterweb

Got this in working (running high sierra) just for a ram and SSD upgrade,

Doddle of a job right!.
Wrong!

Long story short with the new SSD or putting back the old one it starts loading and gets the apple logo and progress bar and just hangs at the half way point and then reboots it does the same thing when trying

Internet recovery
Boot from external drive with os on
1 of any of the 5 known good working hard drives,

Original ram back in,

Original hdd back in,

Webcam unplugged

Touch pad unplugged

Smc bypass

Reset p ram like 10 times,

I went to try a clean ME using the medusa but I can't get the medusa to see the efi chip, (is the medusa not compatible with this model of macbook, I don't see it on the supported devices list ?? l)

This must be something daft the machine was working fine this morning and all I've done is attempt to replace ram and hdd?

#baffled

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
There is no ME region; Nvidia MCP platform, not Intel iCore.

Possibly graphics issue.
Try installing Windows.
If fails when updates the graphics driver, then you have the confirmation.

You may also get some useful information running corresponding ASD.

Anterweb

I have both a windows and Ubuntu SSD, I tried both in this machine and they both behave the same, They boot ok and work for a few minutes fine, then the machine just freezes and is non responsive and I have to reboot.

This is crazy as the mac seemed fine when briefly testing this morning before changing the HDD and ram,

anything I can do?

( Presuming it may be overheating I cleaned and re pasted CPU and GPU , made no difference.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Run ASD with memory test enabled.
See if crashes.

Just in case, try known good BIOS.
But I still suspect MCP, which has more than 10 years.

Anterweb

Sorry for my ignorance, what is ASD?

Also, you can put this one down as fixed, I just sat and tried several different ram sticks one after the other as it was bothering me so much that it was working and I hadn't even touched the logic board only to replace ram and ssd the 7th stick of ram I put in booted super fast into an OS. I added a second identical 4gb stick and it's been running YouTube now for over 30 minutes,

I've no idea what's happened here, but it seems fine now running 8gb ram, upgraded from previous 4 and a new SSD.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear is solved.
I was thinking you've already tried RAM.

Apple Service Diagnostic:

Anterweb

" I was thinking you've already tried RAM "

I had dude, and mentioned it in my original post, I had put back the original ram that was in the machine when tested and working,,,

No idea what caused the issue or why it wouldn't boot again with the original HDD or ram, But after much fkin about it is now working with the new SSD and 2 old sticks of ram,,,

It must just be an old temperamental POS!

Thanks again dude.