820-2879 replaced U7000

Bohmmen

Had no green light on this board.
PPBUS_G3H was 0 volt.
Replaced U7000 and now I have green light but only 12,27 Volt on PPBUS_G3H

Can it only be dead SMC or is it something that I'm missing?

aprendiz

Check if SMC_REST_L is present.... Also check data lines SMBUS_CHGR_SCL and SMBUS_CHGR_SDA are not low ....

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Reflow SMC to eliminate a short?
How can a reflow (even reballing) eliminate a short in any chip???
Preheat entire board, this will help you a lot...
No need to do it normally, but it helps.

peterfixit

Reflow SMC to eliminate a short?
How can a reflow (even reballing) eliminate a short in any chip???
Preheat entire board, this will help you a lot...
No need to do it normally, but it helps.

last resort, as is full short, everything else removed, caps first, then chips, then resistors and filters then the last thing was smc

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Impossible to eliminate a short in such way!
You must change it.

The reflow/reballing "solve" intrernal problems related with broken connection (inside chip); doesn't apply for any (internal) short...

peterfixit

i dont think you are reading my messages properly, if you dont understand stop replying, the point is that i had already removed everything on the entire line and the smc was the only thing that was left, it was reflowed and then REMOVED and the short persisted, im not asking for help with this, this is not my post, this was about reflowing an smc the reason why is irrelevant

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I understood you perfectly.
I just wanted to explain you, do not waste time in the future reflowing a chip thinking that way a short will disappear.
Remove it directly, when other things have been already tested; as last resort.
And also gave you a hint to help replacing SMC; which takes a lot of hot, as you told...
If you've been offensed as I tried to help you, no problem, I will no bother you anymore...