820-2914-B Brief startup then shutdown

jb_bak

Help me fix my wifes A-1297 that has green light on charger, fan spin for about 5 seconds, then it shutsdown, the CPU and GPU get very hot very quick. I changed out the 216-0810005 GPU with a "new" one I got from china, but of course same issue. Cant seem to find a short to ground but its possible I missed it somewhere.

Any ideas on where to start again with this?

Thanks!

jb_bak

PPVCORE_S0_CPU = 1.09 volts before it overheats and shuts down

The computer was doing the usual overheating and shutdown and occasional pinkish vertical lines...so I knew it was getting time to replace the GPU.

jb_bak

Please,......anyone beside dukesfawks might help me? I will measure anything you ask. Up for any hints!!

dukefawks

Administrator
It's not the end of my help, but if you cannot confirm you got a good chip and it was soldered correctly then I have no idea what to troubleshoot.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
This board belongs at Apple for replacement under warranty, just clean up the flux and go from there. 216-0810005 you find will mostly be reballed trash or fake.

dukefawks

Administrator
Apple will not accept it if it is not able to boot VST. Board needs to at least turn on and chime....
Maybe Apple USA is less picky about it, but here in NL I cannot get it fixed without it at least be able to boot AST.

jb_bak

L9560
PP1V5_SOGPU_ISNS_R side = 1.43v
P1V5FB_LL = 1.34v

L9510
P1V0GPU_LL = .64v
PP1V0_S0GPU_ISNS_R = .97v

jb_bak

This board belongs at Apple for replacement under warranty, just clean up the flux and go from there. 216-0810005 you find will mostly be reballed trash or fake.

Thanks Lewis. The board starting doing what it is doing now before I removed the old 216-0810005 and put the new one on with the rework station. My hope was the problem was related as the GPU was going south, but it seems the problem isn't that. Now once I get it to boot if there are ANY video probs, I will try to take it to the apple store, but I live in Hong Kong, China, a place that is not known for having any customer service at all. I would be blown away if anyone at apple would help me.

jb_bak

both the GPU and CPU(and only those two) get hot enough to burn my finger within a few seconds of being on. Can you guys think of a power rail that is shared between the two that could be shorted?

dukefawks

Administrator
Are you trying this thing without a heat sink? If yes, does it stay on longer with the heat sink? No there is no shared power rail between GPU/CPU.

jb_bak

Yes with the heatsink on it stays on a good while, the fan speeds up RPM too...still not hearing a chime

dukefawks

Administrator
At this point we do not know if the GPU is good or soldered good. I'm pretty sure these boards will boot without a GPU, so go ahead and remove it and see what it does.

jb_bak

Well I put it back together and in its case, and it turns on, I get a 3 beep and no screen or chime.. I tried reseating the ram in various ways, didn't seem to help