820-3115

So i don't know what i did. have a 820-3115 that had a bad hard drive. computer was booting up but stuck apple logo halfway on startup. checked the hard drive, diagnosied it bad so i upgrade to ssd and transfer the data with my data recovery equipment. i plug in the ssd today and now i only get fan spin for about 5 minutes until i finally get a chime and mbp will boot up either with old hard drive or new one.

only thing i noticed is that ppbus starts at 11.5v and slowly creeps up to 12 when it finally boots.

you think its the cable? usually if bad cable itll chime but no boot. this isn't even chiming till 4-5 minutes

replaced cable. same issue

SMMRepair

Bad cable can manifest in many ways. I didn't see you mention it, so wanted to rule it out first.

Delayed chime could be a BIOS issue. Can you try a new BIOS? You can hot-swap a chip over for testing purposes (only!). If chime is normal, then load up a clean BIOS on the old chip. If issue persists, try a new chip. If issue still persists, then move onto next possible cause. Delayed chime by 5 minutes is odd, but I'd start with BIOS.

okay weird one here. i swapped the bios turned on fast. put it back together and 5 minute chime. one by one i connected and its the super drive that is causing this.