820-3332 wasn't recognizing battery & PPBUS_G3H isn't quite right?

DannyRinc

820-3332 board with no liquid damage, no drop history.
Battery would be recognized and would stay at 0% (customer said it wasn't booting). Reflowed U8900 as per Duke's advice in another thread. Battery immediately displayed correct voltage.
PPBUS_G3H on Charger without Battery: 12.59v
PPBUS_G3H on charger WITH battery: starts at like 11.5v and climbs up.
PPBUS_G3H without Charger and ONLY battery: 11.1v

The computer now runs off the battery, shows a percentage too. However the percentage jumps around a bit.

My question is, does PPBUS_G3H being not even 12v while on the battery indicate that there is something else wrong? Or should I call this done?

Thanks!

JohnB8812

Sounds like a battery issue. If the battery is charging and holding a charge, DO NOT replace it as all the batteries available are Chinese GARBAGE.

DannyRinc

Gotcha, I'm a little worried right now because it black screened during an OS installation, so I'm hoping it's not U8900 that just went bad. After restarting it's installing again, we'll see what happens. I'm going to stress test it to make sure I don't get any graphics issues.

JohnB8812

Yeah that issue could be battery as well, but also could be U8900 or a graphics issue. Hopefully not let us know if it goes through

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"My question is, does PPBUS_G3H being not even 12v while on the battery indicate that there is something else wrong?"
When both battery and charger are connected, PPBUS_G3H will drop, accordingly with actual charge of battery.
It will slowly increase until battery gets fully charged 100%.
Then PPBUS_G3H will jump again to 12.6V and Magsafe light will turn green.

If you got some reaction after reflowing U8900, change it now.
Resolder all its pads at least...

Last edited:

DannyRinc

informaticos that was the answer I was looking for, thank you so much! I changed u8900 just to be safe earlier, but that makes a ton of sense. Thank you. We should probably close this and marked solved.