820-3462 - Left speaker not working (was: Won't Run off of battery after probe slip)

down1nit

Was performing mic repair on a fully working board, probe slipped, shorting I THINK the left subwoofer amp to ground or to a power source of another line (I was tired). After removing/replacing both right channel amps the board does not run off of battery but starts up and works normally.

System report sees battery, plugged in, does not charge, and does not run off battery.

CSI P/N and CSO_N/P all measure right. R5281/R5280 measure fine. PPBUS 12.6.

Q7055 is 12.6 source, 12.6 gate, 2V on batt side. Is this the problem? Everything with battery connected.

Last edited:

down1nit

Thanks, yeah 3462.... my directory is misnamed!

AND ALSO YOU ARE A WIZARD

I put in all 4 screws for the battery, cover included, and now it's fine. I like the interposer board concept but it makes dumb stuff like this possible. Thank you again 2. Has anyone ever bought you a beer for this job?

down1nit

OK reassembled now no audio left channel. I replaced both amps and the audio codec chip. I'm getting the chime in the right channel with the same speaker, but no audible sound on the left.

My ocilliscope shows activity on the subwoofer channel during the chime duration oddly. I checked the "shutdown" enable called AUD_SPKRAMP_SHUTDOWN_L and it goes high to 3.0V when the chime goes and returns to 0 when chime is done.

I'll do SMC / PRAM reset just in case but I think it's not muted/hard right balance in the OS

down1nit

I'll do SMC / PRAM reset just in case but I think it's not muted/hard right balance in the OS

Yeah, even tried a reinstall on another hd, smc reset, pram reset, replacing amps again. I have a donor board that I'm going to take measurements from but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?