820-3462 not detecting battery

spakhnyuk

This board was liquid damaged. Board was cleaned in the Crest ultrasonic.
Everything on the board works, in fact the battery will charge, and it will run off the battery, but the battery is not being detected.
I have tried a different top case with a known good battery and a different interposer board. Same issue remains.

Can you guys help me troubleshoot this?
Thanks!

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
My bet is it's missing "the screw." There is a screw holding the battery into the computer.

If not that, my bet is on SMC data line.

1) Put red probe on ground, black probe on pin 2 of R5280 with no power applied to the board, and give me the measurement.
2) Put red probe on ground, black probe on pin 2 of R5281 with no power applied to the board, and give me the measurement.

spakhnyuk

Here are the diode mode measurements you requested:

pin 2 of R5280 is 0.338
pin 2 of R5281 is a short to ground (0.002) to be exact

it's not missing "the screw" and I did try using a known good interposer board between the battery connector and the mlb.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
It's not R5281. That measurement you gave me shows a short to ground. R5281 does not have a path to ground. something on that line has a path to ground and is causing this. It can be U7000, it can be U4900, it can be some solder blob somewhere. Start by removing U7000 and seeing if it goes away.

spakhnyuk

I removed U7000 and the short on R5281 is still there. What should I do next? Is removing U9400 the next step?

Adan

Hi had the same issu with the same board. I changed several time the SMC, same problem. Then I realised a pin of the UM 29 503 battery connector (inter the board and the battery) was fold down. I set up it right, then it work. Somebody touch the MacBook in a wrong way before me.