820 4924

EJS

820 4924, checked in for no image. I am assuming the machine was fully booting at time of check-in. I would get fan spin and hear chime. I would get no internal or external display, even with the internal display unplugged. I remove the board to start troubleshooting, now for some ungodly reason, I get no power, and 5v_s4 is not present. I get green light on mag safe/PPBUS/5v_S5. I am very perplexed as to what has happened here. I am 100% certain that I did not damage is board in any way by removing it from the housing. WTF

EJS

3.334v on 3v3_S5. Unfortunately I do not believe there's any other history on this machine. It was checked in by another shop, they said one that customer brought for no display, and quite honestly I could confidently say it doesn't even look like this boards ever been pulled out of the housing before I got to it.

EJS

Yes, the machine Chimed and the fan spun, before I pulled the board out. I get 5v on s5, 0v on all 5v rails after that. I do not see any power cycling, but I am using a fluke. I do not have a scope.

dukefawks

Administrator
Have you checked if it powers on with the battery connected? I honestly have no other ideas and it could be any small component that got knocked off.

EJS

No power with batt, have have literally spent over an hour searching under a microscope all over this board I can't find any knocked off components. I am also very confident that this board came out of the housing in a good way. P5VS4_EN is missing @ U8060. R8191 & R8192 are both solid. WTF am I missing here Duke?

EJS

I am using fluke 15b+, I have seen power cycling before, but it was on totally different power rails. I am not seeing any power cycling on this one, maybe it is a faster cycle that the multimeter will not pick up. I guess I need to go ahead and invest in a scope, it seems like 90% of these and no power newer retina machines that I get are all missing S4. Do you have a recommendation for a decent scope that's not going to chew a hole in my wallet?

dukefawks

Administrator
Just any cheap ass scope will do for this purpose. Even some garbage 40 year old CRT thing picked from the trash is good enough.