820-4924A Doesn't boot

CRC2018

I've received a strange Macbook in today. A1502 2015 Model 820-4924A board. It powers up normally but it won't boot properly. With the customers OS X install which is filevault protected after entering the password we get the apple logo then the loading bar appears and it goes all the way to the end and then just sits there - boot process never finishes. So diagnostic cap on - I plug in my external hdd with OS X Catalina on it and try to boot from that, same behaviour goes slowly through to the end of the bar and then sits there. Grabbed another external hdd with OS X El Capitan on it - same behaviour.

On the hardware side - i've tried unplugging the webcam, SSD, touchpad, left i/o board but no change in the boot up behaviour. Have even swapped the battery with another new one as I seem to recall seeing one of Louis's videos where a battery caused a boot up issue.

Is this a fault anyone has seen before as it's got me stumped!

CRC2018

Can honestly say I have never done that before - if I dump the BIOS on here do you think you could clean it for us?

CRC2018

ok the bios you attached is working and will boot to el capitan - doesn't detect my catalina drive though - presumably it is too old and doesnt have APFS support. I've attached the old bios if you could work some magic on it and fix the ME region!
820-4924 Old BIOS

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an empty SSD, do a fresh install of new macOS with APFS.

However you will need the old serial number, so I will clean your BIOS backup tomorrow.

CRC2018

Just to report back and say thank you that's working perfectly now. A first for me seeing this problem and glad to have your assistance!