a1425 - When camera is plugged in Mac will not boot into macOS

mastak07

Hi guys,

I have a 2012/early 2013 13" retina. When I have the camera plugged in and boot the Mac it will always hang 3/4 of the way through booting and not enter the macOS. If I unplug the camera the Mac works fine with no issues. It is a 3rd party screen and has never worked on any Mac I have plugged it into.

My question is this, would it be a good idea to chop the cable and splice another cable on from another MacBook Pro? or is that not the done thing? lol I'm not going to try and replace the camera but the client really wants the camera to work.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated !

Thankyou, Karl

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If the machine still turns on and boot, means there is no short on camera module.
I suppose a problem with ALS.
Corresponding EFI ASD should give an idea.
Or you can cut off ALS_SCL/SDA lines close to J3502.

You can also try to start in SMC bypass mode.

mastak07

IMG_1391.jpg

I ran the EFI ASD and this is the report with the camera plugged in and the camera checked out ok but yes your are correct about the ALS

When you say cut off ALS_SCL/SDA lines close to J3502 what would that entail?

Last edited:

mastak07

If the machine still turns on and boot, means there is no short on camera module.
I suppose a problem with ALS.
Corresponding EFI ASD should give an idea.
Or you can cut off ALS_SCL/SDA lines close to J3502.

You can also try to start in SMC bypass mode.
Thanks for your help mate, I cut the cut off ALS_SCL/SDA lines on J3502 and the Mac boots fine with the camera plugged in and the best part, the camera works :)