A2141 audio issue 820-01700

Donlan78

Hello, I’m working on 2019 16 820-01700 everything works fine, except speakers sounded awful, I have see this issue before , usually replacing the audio ics fixes the problem, but board I’m working on for past 2 days in between work now has no sound at all now, no sound issue started after replacing U6520, went from popping to no sound at all, inhave reballed and replaced u6520 3 times, u6500 twice and u6560 once, all 3 chips on left side have been replaced chips were pulled from logicboard with no sound issue, donor board had sleep wake issue, but verified good audio
Anyhow I’m stumped, if I close the lid and open again I will have audio on the side that wasn’t touched yet, but sound is low, and popping sound is still present,
Curious where to start,

Donlan78

Hello, I’m working on 2019 16 820-01700 everything works fine, except speakers sounded awful, I have see this issue before , usually replacing the audio ics fixes the problem, but board I’m working on for past 2 days in between work now has no sound at all now, no sound issue started after replacing U6520, went from popping to no sound at all, inhave reballed and replaced u6520 3 times, u6500 twice and u6560 once, all 3 chips on left side have been replaced chips were pulled from logicboard with no sound issue, donor board had sleep wake issue, but verified good audio
Anyhow I’m stumped, if I close the lid and open again I will have audio on the side that wasn’t touched yet, but sound is low, and popping sound is still present,
Curious where to start,

ppbus_g3h is low 12.37v on c6555 and all the plbis caps near the audio ics
Pretty’s sure this is the problem, and it’s obvious something. Is dragging it down
Just not sure how to find the fault in this situation
Don’t think I can inject voltage to see what’s warm,

Any suggestion would be great, client is supposed to pick up Thursday, I’m not sure how I missed the audio popping originally, but it is what it is, I have a much bigger problem now (functional but no sound)

Donlan78

ppbus_g3h is low 12.37v on c6555 and all the plbis caps near the audio ics
Pretty’s sure this is the problem, and it’s obvious something. Is dragging it down
Just not sure how to find the fault in this situation
Don’t think I can inject voltage to see what’s warm,

Any suggestion would be great, client is supposed to pick up Thursday, I’m not sure how I missed the audio popping originally, but it is what it is, I have a much bigger problem now (functional but no sound)

update replaced u6460 ppbus voltagehas been restored ppbus voltage, but still no sound, speakers on the right have sound if lid is closed and opened

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum!

What said the client about how the problem appeared?
Check ANGLE_SENSOR_ND/MGL and LID_OPEN_SMC_IN, when lid is closed/open.

BTW, write directly into reply box, instead of clicking Reply button.
I don't see a reason to quote an entire post, visible few centimeters above.
Please, maintain forum aesthetic...

Donlan78

What should I check for with angle sensor and with lid open _smc_in should I be looking for a short?

also I have little experience with troubleshooting i can do repairs if told what parts to replace,
Or if I suspect issue and have idea what to change but I lack troubleshooting skills to know what to check,

Besides the lid sensor is there away to test which audio ic is failing

the macbook worked perfect other than popping sound when playing video,the no sound started after I replaced the audio ics on left side, could the audio ics I used possibly failed from too much heat or something, when lid is closed and opened it only fixes sound for the left side speakers, the right side have no sound at all

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Headphones sound is also bad?
Try changing U6300...

Write directly into reply box, under the last post.

Donlan78

headphones work normal just replaced u6300 no change, is there a way to test u6500,u6520 or surrounding components