BGA Scope

mnaty

Anyone use a BGA scope. This is an item thats been on my radar, but not really sure if its worth its weight.

Has anyone used.

Also a cheaper alternative is BGA mirror attachment that can attach to some of the cheap usb microscopes.

Any input on the real world usefulness of this equipment is greatly appreciated. Ill attach links later, but for now just use a quick google search of 'bga scope'

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I use an HDMI camera for seeing the balls melt. I like being able to see what's happening, fuck making profiles and wasting 8 hours making a perfect profile for one board.. that is a huge waste of time. I have one profile I Run that I stop manually when the job is done.

BGA is not where money is so I don't focus on it. BGA is where large wastes of time and money are. This isn't 2007 anymore, it isn't raining dead GPUs on super expensive machines that aren't covered by warranty/recall anymore.

mnaty

Louis this scope is more for looking down into the bga for pre and post repair diagnostic to see if there are issues.( If you can get something like this that can take the reflow heat it would be perfect for knowing exactly when its done.)

It works by using a right angle prism that functions similar to a periscope... But at such a small angle that the lens can be as small as 1mm thick on a right angle turn.

Tools such as this are supposed to be able to look into the bga joints while still mounted. Videos show great front facing angles. However, im curious to know how effective they are at examining the interior ball joints of bga and similar chips.
https://youtu.be/CNPM7KVjLc8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dsg8osXDKn8

There are higher quality models that look super functional, but price is not advertised and as the old saying goes... "If you have to ask, then you cant afford it", so i havent bothered asking cause im sure i wont be willing to pay. Handheld units start around $699, which allow for pre and post inspection, but wont take heat temps inorder for use during reflow

If its effective, it may make bga repairs easier and higher quality through better joint checks. Also, Id assume a reflow heat resistant version would have to have a long prism scope to allow camera enough distance to stay out of heat, but are prisms high heat tolerant?

Last edited:

mnaty

Maybe, if you wanted too, u would have positive results from contact the manufacturer and requesting them to send you a test/loaner unit to make a review video of. Your viewership, in my opinion, would merit them doing so.

Im really curious to get a real users opinion vs the sales & marketing pitch. My curiousity is on how well you can see the interior solder ball joint and not just the outside ones. If this works, it would seam to be a real advantage as it would allow u to confirm damage or lack there of before taking the time to remove chips. Unfortunately, the sales videos avaipable arent very thorough in showing the interior angles, so im not convinced that its as effective of a tool as it suggest.

*Also just realized that my intial post has missing word "scope" and that really throws off the topic... Correcting now.*

Last edited:

mnaty

I agree with you on profiles. My machine is just ACHII (pos), so probably partly to blame... But profiles vary based on what room has going on in it and has never been perfect. Setting up an enclosure to remove variables is not worth it either, in terms of space or time. Ive order a similar camera and plan to test soon. Still curious about my bga scope obsession though, but i often like to waste money on toys that get 1% of use or less.