HDD data recovery

Nick

Hi guys, i got a 500gb Seagate 2.5'' hard disk

it came in an external case and it was clicking like hell, i removed the sata to usb board and it started to spin normally but it wasn't recognized by the pc, after a tour in the ultrasonic and a layer of solder on the board where it connects to the preamp/headers cable the pc managed to see it, RAW file system still not acces to files, it doesn't click or anything and it works fine. EaseUS finds no file, HDD guru RAW data clone signs TONS of damaged sectors and a speed of 0.7mb/s so i never got to the 1% of the clone
i have ordered a new board and i will try with that after a rom/ controller swap but i am not sure it's the board.. could it be the pre amplifier on the headers? any way to recover datas on this thing without pc3000? Thanks everyone

dukefawks

Administrator
It won't be the board, nothing you can do without PC3000. It was clicking so damaged head is likely if you are getting bad reads.

Nick

strange as it stopped clicking when i removed the sata to usb. it is recognized from windows now, still raw file system and zero files found with photorec. the heads are moving as the program explores the HDD. maybe not the physical heads but the pre amp on the ribbon cable is fucked. so pc3000 and head swap.... i don't think the customer would be ready for this expense. at all.

peterfixit

strange as it stopped clicking when i removed the sata to usb. it is recognized from windows now, still raw file system and zero files found with photorec. the heads are moving as the program explores the HDD. maybe not the physical heads but the pre amp on the ribbon cable is fucked. so pc3000 and head swap.... i don't think the customer would be ready for this expense. at all.

my usual data recovery programs are easeus on pc and Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery 6, although once it starts clicking bad these programs are pretty much useless

Nick

my usual data recovery programs are easeus on pc and Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery 6, although once it starts clicking bad these programs are pretty much useless
Tried easeUS but zero files and again, no clicking or weird noises whatsoever after I removed the usb to sata board

Nick

Nothing for now, told him he will get a free diagnostic as usual, if it was something electronics then the price for a donor board plus 50€ for the Rom swap and then data retrival. But at this point I am pretty sure it's in the pre amp. I stil ordered a donor board for 9€ and I will try it. If it doesn't work then see you again. He said he doesn't want to spend more than one hundred bucks anyways

peterfixit

give it back its not worth it, for regular data recovery (no click just plug in and copy files) I charge 100 AUD, for not assigning drive letter i charge 150 AUD, and for everything else or if the customer is a jerk I charge 250 AUD plus parts, people that say "I dont want to spend more than X" are not worth it and dont take the job