how to solder this?

1642001395193.png
hi all, thanks in advance for your faithful help, it's much appreciated
suggestions for easiest way to solder this part? it has 4 large grounds on the corners.
here's my idea: pre-solder all the pads with low melt ~361F, heat underneath with the highest heat possible without damaging anything (in this case there's no plastic nearby underneath so I'm thinking about 650F?), at the same time press down on the connector while using hot air from above (do you think the required temperature at that point would be low enough to not melt the connector plastic?)

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
For desoldering, I recommend 58 degrees ChipQuik alloy, available on eBay.
IR bottom preheater is the best option to resolder it.
You can also use 138 degrees solder paste to resolder; it shouldn't reach such temp in the working state.
If practice enough with scrap board, you should be able to resolder it with leaded solder, 183 degrees.

You can find bigger, if needed.

thank you! I did it. and now I have a method for soldering other difficult connectors like 27" retina iMac eDP. I prep the previous solder with 183C paste, clean/dry, preheat around 175 (or whatever is high enough to allow hot air to liquify the solder without melting plastic, and low enough to allow the component to harden quickly after you stop the hot air), add flux, add hot air while pressing down on the connector. Thanks again for the ideas