Laptop screen compatibility

Fizzl92

Hello,
i have a general question about laptop screens and the compatibility of them. On a desktop you can plug any monitor in the graphics card and it will work. Any size and any resolution. On a Laptop i can do it too over HDMI or VGA with any external monitor you like. So here my question starts. How does this work internally? Can i plug eg. a 17" laptop screen internally in a Laptop that has originally a 13" or 15" screen installed, as long as the connectors are identical? Or is something like resolution, inch size (and so) on important? Will It work, will it show nothing on the screen or will is kill my board/screen? And will it work if i eg. plug a MacBook Pro screen in a MacBook Air, as long as its the same Connector (of course just for testing)? I know this Question is a bit strange. I don´t really want to try it - i´m interested in this in general.

dukefawks

Administrator
No no and no. The only thing you can swap around would be the 15 and 17" LCDs on the 2008-2012 machines. NEVER swap Retina and Air LCDs.
Just look at the diagram and compare the pinouts, they even differ for each year in retina models.

Fizzl92

OK, thanks. Do you know why they are incompatible/ what happens if they were swapped? And is eg. Retina 13" with Retina 15" swappable cause the same Logicboard can drive any size screen with external monitor? Sorry for the dumb question...