MacBook Air 13 " 820-00165 no manufacture date presented

ielectron

Hi,
I've got another MacBook Air 13 SMC was faulty and I replaced it now laptop works but it doesn't show manufacture date. I know that if someone has been messing with bios and SN this will heaped I didn't touch it but it look like someone try fix something so its possible bios has been reflashed with unknown EFI and SN. Is it possible to fix this issue without knowing what serial number was before or other ways to repair it ?
Or should I just build a new bios with clean ME and put serial number with is showing now in device info?
I have lid but it doesn't belongs this machine its from another Mac and manufacture year is 2012 according to serial with is on it..
I've checked board but those models doesn't have any stickers on MB itself with serial just to see if matching.

Thanks in advice.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If machime works correctly, no need to clean ME.
But if Fsys area is corrupted, you will need to use new BIOS file, changing serial number.
You can swap your ME region, or clean ME in new file.
Also need to fix Fsys checksum, after changing serial number.

ielectron

or any chance you could fix this Fsys for me please here is this bios, I start reading now about it and looks like I will have to figur it out but I need this laptop have ready for tomorrow morning tested please if you could help me.
Much appreciated.

ielectron

I've tried do it myself but I don't know how do fix Fsys checksum, I tried new bios and swap ME region and change SN. Just tried this and still same no manufacture year, SN presented correctly I install fresh OSX because I didn't recognise SSD properly so everything is as it was. I don't have medusa so I've done this in hex editor.

ielectron

I've tried this bios, still not showing a year and laptop is a bit slower than it was when loading to system or opening apps, PRAM and SMC reset has been done, didn't install fresh OSX trying this on this installed this morning.
Laptop is connected to network and I wait a few min because sometimes this want show up straight away.
Also I duble checked this SN on apple website and it is recognised correctly exist so its not a random one.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
The file you uploaded is original backup of your board?
The serial number from it, matches the one from bottom cover?
If machine works flawlessly and shows correct serial number in "About This Mac", does matter the manufacture date so much???

ielectron

Yes its original backup file from board, SN of board its not matching bottom cover because bottom cover is from another MacBook Air from 2012.
If it will go for sale first what people looking at is what year and spec the laptop is in "Abut This Mac" so I was thinking to sort it out

ielectron

Maybe this is the answer for question but I don't think its actually true myself, found this on apple forum

Hi Everyone

Well, I have just called AppleCare. Very friendly and helpful.

The answer is – because my laptop was originally a build to order, the model/year does not show up in “About This Mac”. MBAs purchased direct from a store will show the model/year correctly.

So that’s how it works!

Thank you to everyone for your help ?