Need a referral

iambehr

Hello,

I have a macbook with logic board 820-3332 that is not detecting the battery. I have tracked it down to the SMC (I think) and I unfortunately do not have the capability to replace that chip yet.

As a favor to my customer, I was hoping someone closeish to Iowa would be willing to take on this job (I can refer my customer to you if you are willing to work on it).
I have a working SMC from the same board that I can pull and send with the logic board if you would like.
The system is otherwise working and has no sensor issues or other nastiness. I suspect the battery needs to be replaced however.

Any takers? Please reply or send a private message!

Thanks,

Stefan

G.Beard

Hello,

I have a macbook with logic board 820-3332 that is not detecting the battery. I have tracked it down to the SMC (I think) and I unfortunately do not have the capability to replace that chip yet.

As a favor to my customer, I was hoping someone closeish to Iowa would be willing to take on this job (I can refer my customer to you if you are willing to work on it).
I have a working SMC from the same board that I can pull and send with the logic board if you would like.
The system is otherwise working and has no sensor issues or other nastiness. I suspect the battery needs to be replaced however.

Any takers? Please reply or send a private message!

Thanks,

Stefan

Dude, just buy a stencil and some solder paste and an 80x80 stencil holder. Seriously it's easy to do. Don't be afraid!

dukefawks

Administrator
No, if he is not comfortable with it do not fuck up a 3332 board. You practice on a shitty 2010 Core2Duo board, not on a $500 retina board.

iambehr

I bought the stuff. But yes, I sent him along to someone who knows how to do it. I will kill a couple of the white macbook boards while I learn. If I did it right the first time I'd quit right then and go buy a lottery ticket.

G.Beard

No, if he is not comfortable with it do not fuck up a 3332 board. You practice on a shitty 2010 Core2Duo board, not on a $500 retina board.

I didn't say dive right into it on your customers board FFS, I said don't be afraid! I was not suggesting he do his first first one on a customer board... That would be fucking stupid.
I would be saddened to think that it's absolutely necessary to have to TELL someone they need to do some practice runs.
It's not hard to do an SMC. Get it right a couple of times and you're away.

GOOD solder paste
80x80 clamp
SMC stencil
GOOD flux
low air flow on the heat gun

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I would be saddened to think that it's absolutely necessary to have to TELL someone they need to do some practice runs.

This is the same industry where Jessa tells people to dremel their iPhone 6 CPU to get rid of iCloud lock on April fools day and dozens of people do it.

She is still getting calls from other repair centers to this day that want to pay her to do what she did in the video. When Jessa's saleswoman explains to them that it was a prank, that drilling the CPU will kill the phone and not iCloud unlock it, they keep asking....

iambehr

Definitely took me a few tries to get uniform balls on my practice SMC. Removing and replacing it was easy, the part where I need more practice is forming the balls correctly. I am using solder paste, but I may buy the balls instead, as it looks easier to get uniform ball sizes.
Using chipquik paste and flux, it seems to work OK.
But yes, I realized I needed to fail before I could learn. I almost always break something the first time. Not offended in the slightest at the suggestion I would fail the first time.