Screen sources for MacBooks

Joesipaq

Hey all, so my supplier has informed me that good quality lcd panels are becoming harder/ impossible to aquire in the market by themselves and that most new screens now are sold as the original top clamshell and original lcd panel, but assembled by another third party lcd shop.

Prices are a bit higher as you can imagine, anyone else having this problem? Feel free to send me a pm if have any leads you want to share :)

Happy repairing.

Atomrepair

You're certainly not alone. Had a customer on the line inquiring about lcd replacement for a macbook air 2012 yesterday.. didnt take me long to find out they're either out of stock or stupidly high priced everywhere. There's a couple of threads on this forum discussing this topic and I think the conclusion was more or less: forget it, just replace the whole assembly.

Joesipaq

Thanks Atomrepair, I did manage to get one for a MacBook pro, but it ended up being a pressed screen.. They were extremely sorry and gave me a refund because their warehouse fked up with the qc. It definitely was a pain in the ass to install.

Any feedback on the quality of the other parts they stick in? Camera, antenna, backlight?

dukefawks

Administrator
It's from China so most of it will be garbage. Buy the assemblies with scratches, they are usually original pulls and not the "new" ones put together with reject garbage.

Also a warning for some Aliexpress A1466 assemblies, someone is making LCD panels for those again and they have a viewing angle that is from 2001 technology or something, garbage.

Joesipaq

Thanks for the heads up Duke, how do you talk to your clients about putting a cosmetically damaged item in as a replacement? How bad are the scratches He and scuffs normally?

dukefawks

Administrator
Buy one and judge for yourself. If the customer is sooooo concerned about a scratch advice them to take it somewhere else.

bjf

The line to use is "There is no source for new screens for that model so it might have a scratch or two on it. Even Apple uses refurbished displays for their repairs." Any reasonable person will be okay with this.

dukefawks

Administrator
Apple will never use refurb parts for LCD and casing parts on MacBooks. Some iMac LCD were refurbished on the non-slim models.