[solved]820-3115 no video, backlight is working

Status
Not open for further replies.

spakhnyuk

I have a board that powers on but the screen remains blank. Backlight is working but there is no video. What is good place to start troubleshooting this issue?

JorgePayar

Louis wrote this in 2013 :)

"Image, no backlight = motherboard

no image, no backlight = screen
no image, backlight = cable

This isn't exact, but most of the time.

Unplug the video cable, and plug it back in. Keep the battery unplugged, of course."

I would check the cable first, for that you have to remove the screen. Or try plugin it to another motherboard if you can.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap,where did you find that? I remember typing that.. I have no idea where. :)

How did this come to you? Drop, liquid damage, out of the blue?

First thing is to try known good screen/cable. because this is a board repair forum, I am going to make the assumption that you have already done that, and not suggest it(but if you haven't, I'm going to kick your ass). :D

Second thing to check is 3.3v on pin 2/3 of LCD connector. Not 1v, not 1.5v, not 2.7v, but a full 3.3v.

Third thing to check is that the little clock filter on the LVDS line is good. My favorite way to check if it is good is to just replace it since it takes less time to do that than to drive myself nuts.. but this machine is too "new" for that to go bad.

spakhnyuk

This board was originally liquid damaged. I did try a different display and the same issue persists.

I am getting:
0.66V pin 2 0.88V pin 3

aprendiz

You said this is water damage, the water damage was around LVDS connector? Did you replace the connector? maybe is just a fucked up connector.. DIode mode measurements on LVDS connector?

spakhnyuk

There wasn't any corrosion around the LVDS connector. I can replace it anyway just be sure. It's just odd that I'm getting a black screen with the backlight working as opposed to the white screen that I should be getting. Plugged it into another display and it does the same thing. Display is confirmed to be good.

spakhnyuk

Excuse the noob question, but where would I measure PPVCORE_S0_AXG?
I searched for the net in BV, but can't seem to locate that components.

Where would I measure it in this case?

aprendiz

L7550 (PPVCORE_S0_AXG_R), this voltage will not be present if the screen is not present or it is not recognized....

spakhnyuk

LVDS diode mode measurements

PIN 8 - 0.609

PIN 9 - 0.609
PIN 10 - 0
PIN 11 - 0.608
PIN 12 - 0.608
PIN 13 - 0
PIN 14 - 0.549
PIN 15 - 0.187
PIN 16 - 0
PIN 17 - OL