[SOLVED] MacAir wont start; blinking green/orange light {short to ground on 5v bus}

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcapitan

Hello, I have a MacAir 2011 A1370 BRD: 820-3024-B that doesn't turn on. It doesn't have any history of water damage. Every time I connect the magsafe (60W) to the computer it flashes green and orange very rapidly. I have taken some measurements and from what I can see the computer fails to switch to the S0 state due to a short on PP5V_S3. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have tried to inject some voltage into this line to find the short but nothing is getting hot. I have checked the charging circuitry (U7000) and it looks ok. I don't have a good board to compare. Any ideas? Thanks!

PPBUS_G3H 8.35v (12.8v)
PPDCIN_G3H 17.06v (12.8v)
PP3V42_G3H 3.40v (3.42v)

PP5V_S5 4.80v
*PP5V_S3 0v
PP5V_S0 0.17

PP3V3_S5 3.32v
PP3V3_S3 0.24v
PP3V3_S0

Attachments

• photo198.jpg
    photo198.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0

elcapitan

No Title

If I switch my meter to beep test and put my red probe on 5v_s3 and my black probe on a screw hole it gives me 2.2ohms. It also beeps. Is this what you mean? From what I can see, 5v_s3 gets initiated from u7201. I have taken some measurements on this chip and it looks like it's missing en1. Should I try to inject some voltage on en1 to see if the machine turns on?

Attachments

• photo199.jpg
    photo199.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0

elcapitan

What is the resistance to GND on 5V_S3 then?

If I switch my meter to beep test and put my red probe on 5v_s3 and my black probe on a screw hole it gives me 2.2ohms. It also beeps. Is this what you mean? From what I can see, 5v_s3 gets initiated from u7201. I have taken some measurements on this chip and it looks like it's missing en1. Should I try to inject some voltage on en1 to see if the machine turns on?

dukefawks

Administrator
You need to find the short on the 5v_s3 bus first. There are MANY things connected to this bus so it is best to inject a voltage to the shorted bus and see what component is heating up. Start with 1V and slowly go up if nothing seems to heat. Do not go over 3V of course.

elcapitan

You need to find the short on the 5v_s3 bus first. There are MANY things connected to this bus so it is best to inject a voltage to the shorted bus and see what component is heating up. Start with 1V and slowly go up if nothing seems to heat. Do not go over 3V of course.

Did I measure the resistance to ground correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.