[solved]MacBook Air Mid 2013 820-3437 No Keyboard and Mouse in OS But works in Option menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
[solved]MacBook Air Mid 2013 820-3437 No Keyboard and Mouse in OS But works in Option menu

I have a Mid 2013 MacBook Air with the 820-3437-A motherboard. Keyboard and Trackpad are not recognized in OS X but does work fine under the boot menu and ASD EFI. I have tried a fresh install of OS X but did not fix anything. Board shows no signs of liquid damage. ASD passes under both EFI and OS. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to solve this one for six months now on 3437s and no clue. duke has a retina that does the same shit. I have a retina that does the same shit!! This is one of those white whales that even we are totally stumped by(hey,we don't know everything).

Maybe you can help us solve it? What was the original damage on this machine?

Hmm. As far as i know nothing. I bought it like this from another guy at my college who just bought another one. I suppose the keyboard or trackpad could have suffered some light liquid damage that i wasn't told about but it shows absolutely no signs of any liquid. Also some how i forgot to mention this but the left USB port does not work as well but I don't think that has anything to do with it as the keyboard still works under the boot menu.

Crizz

No Title

Maybe you've just given us the a hint! Look at the data lines of the trackpad they end in the USB hub of the processor/PCH as well as the other USB devices and ports do.
Does the faulty USB port works when the trackpad works?

I'm thinking out loud: what if you sacrifice on functioning USB-Port and you use its data lines to connect the data lines of the trackpad to it....

Attachments

• photo115.jpg
    photo115.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
Trackpad/keyboard works through USB in EFI mode. In OSX it works through SPI. SPI lines go to CPU/PCH, so my guess is a dead CPU. Of course I am assuming that your connector/cable and trackpad are all known good and tested.

So i was just messing around with it a little more today and decided to flip the trackpad cable around plugging the trackpad end into the motherboard and to my suprise it now works. So im guessing either SMC_LSOC_RST_L or TPAD_USB_IF_EN_CONN was broken in the cable and is now a ground line on the other side. Either way I went ahead and ordered a new cable. Now to figure out this USB issue

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
That flat cable is the #1 part I replace here on MacBooks. Order some more there will be many more needed in the future. Same goes for the IO board and cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.