thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

820-00426 smc area started smoking after plugging in battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 820-00426 smc area started smoking after plugging in battery

I have this 15" MBP Retina which says this is a 2016 version when I google the LB number. When I got it initially it would would not turn on with the battery plugged in so I had to unplug the battery, plug the charger in and hit the power button for it to turn on. The power button was kind of inconsistent. I was able to boot as guest user and plug the charger in and it said to "replace now".

I got the new battery but before plugging it in I removed the logic board and put flux and heated the corroded areas of the keyboard connector as well as around R9192/U9600.

The ISL6259 area around the battery current sensing were all damaged so I replaced the ISL along with all the caps/resistors on the right side(C7101 to R7152).

I had to use a schematic for an 820-3787 since I don't have a schematic for this model. I believe they are very similar judging by the donor board I am using.

After all that I went to test this out. I plugged in the display cable, keyboard cable and the new battery and while I was in the process of plugging in the trackpad cable I started seeing smoke come from the SMC area and I quickly unplugged the battery.
    Things smelled burned and the keyboard backlight part was slightly melted right around the smc area which is why I know the smc was the fault.

I removed the edge bonding and saw that Pin 2 of L5001 and Pin 1 of C5001 both have burned pads. Again I had to use a 820-3787 boardview to find that out and I am not sure where I can run a wire for those since the pad is gone.

Now when I plug in a charger I get no light on the charger.

I'm not sure why the SMC area would smoke up like that when there was no liquid damage around it nor did I do any repairs in that area. All I did was plug in a battery.

You had power connected while plugging shit in, why?? I'm guessing you fried the SMC and L5001.

Comment

I don't know why I didnt think that was an issue. I didn't get to plug the trackpad cable in before it started smoking.
      I've never replaced an SMC before nor do I have the tools. Could you advise me on where I should get the tools and if its possible for me to take an SMC from an 820-3662 or 820-3787 because I don't have a donor for this board number.

Comment

You need an exact donor board. You need experience, so practice on scrap board. I assume Louis has videos on replacing SMCs. Links to reball stencils are in the Tools section.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X