thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

[SOLVED]Core i5 13" Mid-2012 - Model A1278 (EMC 2554*) Won't recognize known good HDD

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED]Core i5 13" Mid-2012 - Model A1278 (EMC 2554*) Won't recognize known good HDD

[SOLVED]

Got a MBP in for repair, it's the Core i5 13" Mid-2012 - Model A1278 (EMC 2554*) Issue is that it won't recognize known good HDDs. I have tried 2 different SATA flex cables. The drive seems to get power, I can feel it spinning but it does not populate in Disk Utility and will not boot. As suggested in a previous thread, I have reset the SMC but this has not corrected the issue. There are not signs of liquid exposure, and the connector looks to be okay. I guess I could have 2 bad flex cables, but not sure how likely that is. Any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by TexpertLLC; 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM. Reason: Solved

Did you use the 2012 type flex cable? They are wider and different from all other models. As this is the most common failure you must be 100% sure that you are using a good cable.

Comment

Thanks. I have verified that I am in fact using 2012 type flex cable. It did however come off a donor machine. Is there a way to test the cable with mutli-meter? I have tiny tipped fluke leads, that with enough effort I can probably get on the appropriate pins. Thanks again man you guys are a life saver and that is why I stay subscribed even for the advice one every few months, make it worth the $1/day.
      Last edited by TexpertLLC; 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Look up the pinout for the HDD sata connector. Beep out the 4 data lines (A+,A-,B+, B-) to the small connector.

Comment

Looks like both of these cables I have are bad. I get 3 of 4 beeps on one of them, and 1 of 4 beeps on the other. Ordering a new cable, hope its good and will respond with update. Thanks again.

Comment

New cable solved the issue, again I can't thank you guys enough for offering this service and the YouTube channel. I have learned so much in the last six months. Look forward to how much I will learn in the next six months.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X