820-00163, R7005 & R7020 Both Blown

SMMRepair

Hey guys, I'm working on a customer unit (820-00163) with issue reported as "no power, no light". I quickly realized R7005/R7020 (by 3787 schematics reference) were both toast. As I'm having to sort of work blind on this one and with limited parts boards for this model, I wanted to post a few quick questions to help myself out a bit:

1. Since R7005/R7020 were both blown, I'll assume Q7010 is fucked and will be replacing it. Would it be wise for me to replace U7090 as well, to be safe? Or can I suspect that R7005/R7020 did their respective jobs and U7090 is probably OK? I know Diodes are pretty robust, but what about D7005? With limited parts boards, I want to make sure I replace all damaged components first-go, but without schematics it's a bit tougher (no schematics = no part numbers to compare against other boards, so can't pull from different model boards easily).
2. Based on R7005/R7020 being blown (with zero liquid indication anywhere on the board), can I assume anything about the customer's use of a faulty/generic charger? If so, I'd like to mention to them that as a possible cause (and so they won't use the same one again with a newly-repaired board, of course).
3. Is the 820-00138 or 00163 schematic out yet? Just curious. Sort of tedious working without them, but that's the nature of the business I imagine.

Thanks again in advance; always get great help here.

dukefawks

Administrator
Yup this is a garbage charger problem. ISL6259 is dead and R7005, R7021/22, R7051/52 should all be checked. The rest is probably ok, apply power and see if it works.

SMMRepair

Great, thanks Duke. I'll get this one taken care of tomorrow and will post an update to confirm. Thanks for confirming the shit-charger suspicion; always good to be able to bring that up beforehand so if the same thing happens we'll have a foot. Thanks, Duke!

SMMRepair

Hey Duke; I got the ISL replaced along with R7020 and R7005. I checked the other resistors mentioned (7121/7122, 7151/52) and they're all still measuring fine. When I plugged the charger in, R7020 blew immediately. When I removed it and checked diode readings on both pads and I get OL on pin 2 and 2.04 on pin 1. Would this mean Q7010 is killing the resistor? Working blind on this thing sucks, so I appreciate the help. Thanks!

SMMRepair

OK, got this one figured out. I swear the secret to figuring something out is to post about it so your brain re-thinks it to type, then you can't help but to think about another variable.

Anyway, I found that PPVIN_G3H_P3V42G3H was shorted. Without proper schematics, I had to just look around and think. Checked all surrounding caps and U7090, but nothing looked shorted and short remained when I pulled everything there. Decided to flip the board over and see if any caps on opposite side (in same area, through-board) looked nasty. Sure enough, found 2 caps and one was brown and obviously broken-down/shorted. Pulled it, short gone, replaced and I get green light without smoke now. :)

Thanks, Duke! I'll confirm once board passes all diagnostics, etc.