820-00165 no power corrosion on u6100

elcapitan

hello everyone im working on a water damage a1466 820-00165 with no power. It has green light on magsafe but no fan spin. during visual inspection i found heavy corrosion on u6100 (sst25vf064c)

1) can this chip prevent the board from booting up?
2) what is the purpose of this chip?

thanks,

dukefawks

Administrator
Very much a problem! Usually the traces are corroded and also the resistors that are in the data lines. Look up "termination resistors" in the schematic around U6100 and verify the traces and resistors are good.

elcapitan

i just took that chip from a donor board and its working perfectly. isn't the ME region stored in the bios chip?

JohnB8812

Yes! You cannot simply just put a new BIOS on and say good to go on the newer i5 and i7 machines!!! You need to read the old chip to transfer the ME OR set the new chip up with a clean ME. Duke can help you on that he's a boss at it. But NEVER just put a new BIOS on an send it off unless it's the old C2D machines.

JohnB8812

U6100 IS the BIOS chip. U6101 is the logic gate that does what you just said. If you replaced U6101, then you are ok. If you replaced U6100, then you are not ok.

dukefawks

Administrator
You cannot just replace U6100 off another board like that! The ME region needs to be fixed and serial/model numbers should be fixed too.