thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

820-3662 liquid damaged no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 820-3662 liquid damaged no power

Hi All,

So I have this nice Retina here with liquid damage.
    I cleaned it. Battery is dead.

It was powering on, but no CPU VCORE.
    I checked the power to U7200 and I saw R7202 was corroded. I changed it and it turned on for a sec or two and turned off.

PP3V42_G3H was 70-80 Ohm short to ground. I found a bad corroded cap C1950. I changed it with U1950.
    It turned on for a second again. I was able to turn it on with SMC bypass, but after 10 seconds it turned off. Never could turn it back on.

I found SMC crystal wasn't oscillating and there was no voltage on it. No short! I didn't have the same board so I took the SMC off of the 820-3332.
    After I replaced the SMC the crystal is oscillating, but still not turning on. The fan just barely spins up. This is not a turn on-off loop thing.
    This tries to turn on, turns off and it does not try to turn on again. I tried SMC bypass mode, but same thing. I couldn't find any short.

It still powers on if I remove R7202, just of course no CPU VCORE.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Last edited by bighead; 07-05-2016, 03:13 PM.

Start with using the correct SMC. The original one is probably fine, was just crap under it.

Comment

Well, I received the parts board for this board. I changed the SMC with the correct one, but still no power.
      I lifted all CPUVCORE coils at the CPU side and checked them if I have anything on them without connecting it to the CPU.
      With multimeter is show 3V which is extremely high. I checked with scope and it shows the PWM wave on both side of the coils. All of them(3).
      How is that possible?

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X