macbook air with short to ground.

jgraffis

I have a macbook air 820-3209 that turns on and runs, but runs terrible. I've tried several hard drives even external hdds. I when i try to boot into ASD 3s150 o.s. it gives me a circle with a line, but it will boot into the efi version of asd. I noticed the gpu gets really hot, fans on full speed. I did some probing around to find that i have a short to ground on pp1v05_s0_vccio and also on ppvcsa_s0_cpu. i ran down the ppvcsa_s0_cpu line to find i have a short in the pp1v05_so_vccio rail.

Im thinking this could be a problem within the pch but not sure. Any help would be great.

thanks.

Last edited:

jgraffis

thanks for getting back to me. I did run efi ASD and it passed with no errors. kinda a strange problem. wouldn't think the machine would run with a short to the pch. but i do have a couple different machines that do similar things.

dukefawks

Administrator
There is no short. It is normal to have a low resistance of a few ohms there. These need to have a working battery connected to work correctly, A1405 battery model.

jgraffis

i will try with a battery. but when i pulled the components on the ppvcsa_s0_cpu(except the pch) the pads still had direct connection to ground.
and i pulled them all.

Last edited:

jgraffis

I was able to test the board out with a battery plugged in, same result as before. I guess this might have to go into the donor pile.

jgraffis

yep it was an a1405 13" macbook air batter that had 86% charge 281cycle count, normal condition. just strange how the video chip gets super hot but the machine never shuts off is what gets me.