[SOLVED]820-3115 turns on by itself if plug in charger

Dmitry

Hi everyone.
My first question is, whether it is normal for macbook pro 820-3115 to turn on by it self when plug in charger while device is off. I am asking because I saw one of louis's videos where he said some macbook air would do that...

I have a customer macbook 820-3115 that came as "not charging"

I checked port, tried charger. No light at all. Well I was suspecting water damage despite customer's claims "no way"... well I opened and found no damage. Then took apart and work on something else for couple days.

After 2 days When I started working on it, it appeared to be in fully functional order.

Since I had it apart a assumed ok, maybe one of the flexes coming short and turns on devices with inflow of power.

However it wasn't the case. I attached all the flexes and assembled the macbook to try to replicate issue, however no success. It works as should be.

One thing bother me is the fact that fan starts spinning and devices start turning on as soon as I attach power source. I tired both ways, fully assembled and board only.

It turns despite the fact that lid is closed, I can tell that LCD is on, that's why I think it is not normal.

I tried to reset PRAM. It made no difference.
other things:
battery was 0% when i turned it on for the first time, so sth must have drain in...
Now It charges normal 35% in about 40 min.

PPBUS_G3H is 12v, which much lower than it should be, thats why I checked other power rails just in case, they are obviously fine.

Since I didn't find much information on particular issue I was hopping it is something simple that no one bother posting, perhaps it is normal?

dukefawks

Administrator
Yes they turn on when all power has been removed. If you leave the battery connected it should not auto power on of course.

Dmitry

Yes they turn on when all power has been removed. If you leave the battery connected it should not auto power on of course.

Thank you, for the explanation. I live in small town, nowhere to get battery, I wil order one online. will try new battery just not sure if that will help. My battery is not dead, it chargers and holds charger just fine now. Well I will try anyway if there is no other tips.

Dmitry

No need to change the battery if it charges. What is the issue now that it charges again?
[h=1]turns on by itself if plug in charger[/h] It turns despite the fact that lid is closed, I can tell that LCD is on, that's why I think it is not normal.
Now It charges normal 35% in about 40 min.

Dmitry

When I plug in charger laptop chime even tho lid is closed. I open it and it is on login screen. If I shut it down with charger plugged in than fan will stop.
If I unplug charger and put it back fan start spring again...

ALB-Repairs

Youre missing something important.

Whats the condition of the battery indicator light ribbon/ sleep sensor. The LCD shouldn't be on whilst the LID is closed witch is a good hint.

This ribbon could also be messing with the SDA/SCL lines causing its battery recognition to be a bit funky. Try unplug this cable and see if the fault is still present.

dukefawks

Administrator
This issue also happens when a trace is corroded next to U5010. Check if there is 3V on both sides of R5014 and R5072.

Dmitry

This issue also happens when a trace is corroded next to U5010. Check if there is 3V on both sides of R5014 and R5072.
I have 3.46v on both sides of both resisters.

thanks for trying to help, any other ideas?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
No idea then, could be crap under the SMC.
You did boot into OSX and shut it down from there and left the battery connected?

Dmitry

No idea then, could be crap under the SMC.
You did boot into OSX and shut it down from there and left the battery connected?
Here it is, I feel like an idiot, I never actually boot into user account. I was staying on user choice and shut it down from there.
After reading your message I realized that, so I logged in and shut it down, now it works, and doesnt turn on by itself.
Thank you!
well it still doesn't explain initial issue of mac no charging when customer brought it in... not sure what I soppuse to tell him what was the issue. but that is convesation for another forum.

Last edited: